Launched on 22 December 1863, the SS City of Adelaide was commissioned for the Australasian Steam Navigation Company and built in Govan, Glasgow. The vessel ran regular passenger services between several destinations including Melbourne, Sydney, Honolulu and San Francisco. She was sold in 1890 and was converted to a four masted barque by removing her boilers and engines. In 1912 the vessel caught fire and burnt for a number of days before flames could be extinguished. During World War II the wreck of the vessel was used as a target by Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) bomber pilots. In 1971 Cyclone Althea struck the coast of northern Queensland near Magnetic Island, causing the partial collapse of part of the wreck’s iron hull. The sunken hull of the vessel has become an artificial island hosting a variety of plant and bird life approximately 300 meters off the shore of Cockle Bay.
info source: wikipedia