The Swallow’s Nest is a decorative castle near Yalta on the Crimean peninsula in southern Ukraine. It was built between 1911 and 1912 in Gaspra, on top of 40-metre (130 ft) high Aurora Cliff, to a Neo-Gothic design by the Russian architect Leonid Sherwood.
(image credit: Erwin Friesen)
The first building on the Aurora Cliff was constructed for a Russian general circa 1895 and it was a wooden cottage romantically named the “Castle of Love”. In 1911, Baron von Steingel, a Baltic German noble who had made a fortune extracting oil in Baku, acquired the timber cottage and within a year had it replaced with the current building.
(image credit: Avi_Abrams)
(image credit: Andrei Yarkov)
In 1927, Swallow’s Nest survived a serious earthquake rated at 6 to 7 on the Richter scale. Renovation and restoration on the building was started only in 1968. The project involved the restoration of a small portion of the castle and the addition of a monolithic console concrete plate to strengthen the cliff.Since 1975, an Italian restaurant has operated within the building.